Thursday, July 22, 2010

nook

Apparently I'm not the only one with nook issues. Since I don't have a Kindle or any other reader, I can't really make legitimate complaints about them, but I'm definitely on the same wavelength as the writer of this article: Dedicated E-Readers Will Be Dead in a Year, If Not Sooner. Nevertheless, I'm invested in the nook and determined to make the e-reader work for my needs. As I previously mentioned, one of the key reasons I jumped on board the e-reader train is to store, organize, and peruse my pdf articles. I've viewed only one pdf article on the device thus far, and I'm unimpressed as there were inconsistencies in the text display. There is a possibility that the article itself is the problem, so I plan to store a few more on the nook and compare them. I'm also curious to see if my notes and annotations made in Adobe Acrobat will display and if I'm able to highlight and annotate within the device itself. It seems that Barnes and Noble is trying to address the needs of students as this article about NOOKStudy attests: Barnes & Noble Makes Nook More Student Friendly. Although it is unclear from this article if this software will apply only to e-textbooks or to any document, it still looks like B&N is moving in the right direction.