Wednesday, September 15, 2010

nook (2)

Since my last post about the nook, I have loaded more pdf articles onto it with varying results. A couple of articles displayed correctly, but most had text that "floated" or did not stay in a straight line with the rest of the text. One article displayed text so small that I couldn't read it. The nook has an option to enlarge text, but for whatever reason, it did not work. Essentially, if you can put up with all the quirkiness of floating text and the possibility that you won't even be able to read an article, reading articles on the nook can work. I went on a long road trip and downloaded about seven articles. I was able to read them in the car even though the sun was shining brightly, which I definitely would not have been able to do if I were reading them on my laptop. It also saved A LOT of paper since I didn't have to print them out. All in all, the nook turned out to be an advantage for that particular paper, and I'm sure I'll use it again to read articles when I don't have access to a computer. 

Based on what I read in Amy Cavender's Review of Nook Study, I don't think the software will be particularly useful for me. It seems like the software is specifically designed for etextbooks not for any reading material. It is also not accessible through the nook itself but only on the computer.

No comments: