Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Accutrack

Accutrack is the system the college's libraries, student learning centers, computer labs, and media services use to track student usage. It is a flawed system because each location creates its own activities so there is no way to track college-wide data. This is a problem since a community college gets a lot of grant funding which is based on progress. If progress isn't made, the funding is pulled. In my lab, I plan to use the reports to show that we need more lab space. One of the major problems with Accutrack in just our lab is that the activities are so numerous that students don't choose the right ones. They pick whatever is automatically selected which keeps us from having an accurate record of how many Prep II Math students have visited the lab, for example. I also wanted to accurately show how much the English and reading attendance has increased since I started working here. I don't think that is truly possible, either. I have joined a committee to design a college-wide system that is based on an interface that already holds the students' records. The students' schedule will pop up and universal options will be displayed as choices. The only hang up is that each lab performs unique functions, so it will be a little tricky to design universal activities for every lab. I'm looking forward to dealing with these challenges, however. Apparently this is supposed to be a web-based interface that hopefully I can also use to track online tutoring which I would like to pilot in the fall.

No comments: