Friday, May 27, 2005

TechXplore trial

On Thursday, I assisted a speech teacher with a project exploring technological communication. Using a web-based system called TechXplore, the instructor was able to talk to his students using headsets and headphones. There's a lot of possibilities here with the web cam and the classroom set up. (It even has a "raise hand" button.) It did have some negative aspects to it that may be smoothed out over time. Not all of the students were able to communicate. Also, sometimes the option to press "talk" would vanish for no reason. Ideally, the instructor would be able to see each of his students through a web cam and talk to each one. He could hold class discussions from remote locations. Students could type and pose questions while another student talks allowing them two forms of communication at the same time. Students could record speeches in advance for their peers to review. This is very cool in concept, but so far this reminds me of free and therefore poor-quality chat rooms. In 1999, my friend Greg showed me how to set up a private chat room. We set one up and were able to talk through the computer. There was a lot of background noise and a bit of a delay (just like this program). It was actually quicker to type then to talk. I haven't been in one since, but I've heard these types of chat rooms have improved a lot. I don't know. I have a cell phone, and I have aol's instant messenger, so I didn't see the need. It definitely has potential for distance learning courses, though. PBCC is always trying to increase its distance learning programs. I'll write more as the wrinkles are ironed out. He plans to use it several more times this semester.

No comments: