Monday, May 18, 2009

AskOnline summer update

This summer we opened up online tutoring to all instructors of Comp I and Comp II with the stipulation that they complete a brief form regarding each major writing assignment they assign their students. So far we have received one from an instructor I've spoken with in person. I've come to the conclusion that while many things work well online, extra initiative is needed from all participants. Instructors are much more willing to put forth the extra effort needed to recommend the program to their students if I've spoken with them in person (and often). This is the first full week of classes, so I hope to see some submissions later this week. Meanwhile this week we will be conducting most of our English Prep, EAP, and Strategies orientations in the lab.
I have 2 professional development workshops to attend this week, one on social networking through ning and the other on adding voice to Power Points in Lesson Builder. I'm also finalizing the tutor training for the rest of the tutors. Very little of the training will require the tutors to meet with me, so they can work at their own pace. I hope to have this completed and in place by Wednesday.

No comments: