Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My First Web CT Class

I took Contemporary Literature last semester for two reasons: I wanted a refresher in studying literature before I began grad school and I was curious about taking an online course. It was very enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the long discussion threads. The class was not taught in a traditional lecture method. The instructor really used the medium to his advantage by promoting student discussions as the predominant method of instruction. He offered occasional insights, but most learning and teaching was done by the students. It was very Socratic.

The only problem I had was with the group project. It was hard to collaborate with people of varying computer knowledge. There was also quite a lot of miscommunication that would not probably have occurred had we been meeting face to face. It was a learning experience for me on several levels.

No comments: